Thursday, August 16, 2007

week 8 thing 19

After studying the Web 2.0 Awards List, I felt like I was on the gameshow "The Price Is Right" playing the game called "That's TOO Much". There was just tooooo much information to explore. I decided to settle on YELP--a blog that describes itself as "the easy way to find, review and talk about what's great--and not so great--in your area". It's a very well organized site for cities all across the US. Its coverage includes categories that range from Restaurants, Night Life, Health and Medical, and Education to Financial Services, Arts and Entertainment and Religious Organizations. I found the site informative and easy to navigate. I also liked that it includes a map and a mileage indicator from the center of Baltimore. Another interesting aspect is that in the Education section it lists other schools (preschool through college) that are in close proximity to whatever school you're researching. Besides its value to me personally, I could see myself recommending this site to library customers.

As a side note, I'll just make a few comments on Craigslist. My son that lives on his own in NYC and a friend's daughter that lives on her own in D.C. (both in their 20's) swear by its classifieds. They (and many of their friends) rely on it for everything from apartments to furniture to flat screen TV's. They speak highly of the reliability and quality of the information found there. This is good news for us anal parents that are too far away from our "big city" dwellers to give our VALUED input!!

No comments: