Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Week 7 Thing 16

I've only been aware of wikis for a little over a year and found my biggest exposure to them to be through Wikipedia. In my Google searches, I find Wikipedia coming up more and more often and make sure I explain to customers to use the information found there as more or less a jumping off point for more research because of the ability of that information to be altered so freely. I do find it helpful in providing some level of information on the newest "hot topics".



As a librarian I can also see some great possiblities of using a wiki for readers' advisory. I loved the idea of the "Book Lover's Wiki"--a site like that could promote a lot of customer interaction in a branch. There are a lot of people out there who can't fit a regular book club into their schedules, but would really like to share/express their feelings and/or insights about what they've read.

I think the use of a wiki taylored to an individual library's specific information or to it's calendar of events has potential. BUT, being a bit of a control freak I do worry about "just anybody" being able to make changes. I think I understand the "limited wiki"--but is that an oxymoron?? Or does that make it a blog?? See...a little information can be dangerous!!!

No comments: